Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Gluten-Free Black Bean Soup (Quick and Easy!)

It's been awhile..and a lot of ruined dinners later, I have new recipes to share with you! This one I'm quite excited about...quick, easy, healthy, and a great warm-up for this chilly spring that seems to be dragging on and on!

I don't personally eat beans, but they are a staple for many of my vegetarian friends, and they can be a healthy option when eaten in moderation. A coworker made a version of this recipe this week and I thought it was phenomenal (and quick and easy!) so with a few tweaks to reduce calories and sodium, I'm excited to share it with you!

Ingredients:

  • 1 Onion, finely diced
  • 3 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
  • 3 tomatoes, chopped (peeled if you're adventurous, but I don't think it's necessary. Just make sure they're fresh)
  • 1/4 cup lime juice or fresh orange juice (or both? I'd be curious to try it that way)
  • 4 15-oz cans of no-salt-added black beans (try Eden Organic if you can't find these - it will save you LOTS of sodium intake by choosing NSA.)
  • 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth or water
  • Salt (I use salt light)
    • Optional for garnish: sour cream, diced avodaco, chopped white onion, lime wedges, or tortilla strips
Directions:
  1. Saute the onion over medium heat until it's translucent (I spray my pan with Smart Balance spray first)
  2. Add the garlic and saute another half minute, until the pot is fragrant, then add the tomatoes and lime juice. Cook over medium heat for 10-15 minutes or until the mixture has reached a thick, non-chunky texture.
  3. Add the beans and broth, along with a dash of salt (to taste) and bring to a boil. 
  4. Turn your heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes
  5. Use a potato masher or hand blender to puree some of the soup, then taste for salt and add more broth or water if it's too thick. You may also consider adding a bit of plain almond or soy milk for a creamier texture - if you prefer!
  6. Serve with garnishes! I also added some mexican rice (will have to share that recipe soon too!)

Enjoy...

No comments:

Post a Comment