They're not for the faint of heart, though. These are for chocolate lovers. Chocolate obsessors. Okay that's not a real word, but if you love dark chocolate, you'll love these. They're not quite sweet enough for me :) but if you wanted, you could always add some sweetener. The chocolate chips do help!
A couple of things...one, spray the heck out of your pan or use foil liners, not paper ones.
Two, experiment! I think these would be fabulous with peanut butter chips, butterscotch chips, mint chips...
What you’ll need:
- 1 3/4 cup oats
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt (or regular plain low fat yogurt)
- 1/2 cup natural, unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1-1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 cup hot water
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips (try the Enjoy Life brand for a dairy-free, soy lecithin-free version!)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prepare a 12-cup muffin pan. I made these in my square pan from friend Sarah...LOVE this pan.
- In a blender or food processor, beat the oats until they are smooth like a flour.
- Pour the oats into a mixing bowl and add the egg whites and yogurt and blend until everything is smooth.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, in order, except the chocolate chips, and mix well.
- Spoon the mixture evenly into your muffin pan and sprinkle the chocolate chips over the top of each muffin.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, and allow to cool before removing from the pan.
Nutrition facts via myfitnesspal (per muffin):
114 calories, 18g's of carbs, 3g's of fat, 5g's of protein, 6g's of sugar (ahem, this is why I should've used unsweetened applesauce...) and 3g's of fiber. Voila!