Monday, October 8, 2012

Strawberry Breakfast Muffins



My husband thinks I'm obsessed with muffins (as he does the dishes and is constantly washing muffin pans!) but really I'm focused on finding us portable, healthy, gluten-free breakfast items for grab-and-go mornings! This is my latest favorite, and I've made them the last three weeks in a row. LOVE them! Fresh strawberry goodness any time of the year!


What you'll need:


  • 2 1/2 cup Oats (I used Bob's Red Mill Gluten-Free Oats)
  • 1/2 cup hot water
  • 1/2 C Egg Whites (Or the whites of 5 eggs)
  • 1 cup plain greek yogurt (We love the Chobani Non-Fat Plain)
  • 6 packets Truvia Update: since writing this post, I have stopped using stevia after learning more about its processing. I've made the muffins without and they are still delicious! A drizzle of honey on the top is great if you need a little sweetener when you eat them.
  • 1 1/2 tsp Baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp Baking soda
  • 1 tsp lemon juice
  • 1/2 cup ground flaxseed meal (Optional. One of those healthy-but-you-can't-taste-it add-ins! I didn't add it this time so it's not included in the nutrition facts, fyi.)
  • 1 1/2 -  2 cups diced fresh strawberries (I used 2 cups this time, which was a lot of strawberries, but it was really good! Use 1 1/2 cups if you want them a little less chock full of berries)

The how-to:

  1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees and prepare a pan. For these, either spray a pan directly OR use foil baking cups. With these, like the Banana Puff Muffins, don't use paper liners unless you want to eat them along with the muffin!
    I used my square muffin pan for this one--the recipe makes 12 of them, in whatever shape you choose. 
  2. Place the oats in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
  3. Pour the oats into a bowl and add remaining ingredients except the strawberries and mix well. Stir in the strawberries after everything else!
  4. Divide your muffin batter equally among your 12 prepared muffin cups
  5. Optional: add extra berries to the top of each muffin
  6. Bake for 20-25 minutes, and let them cool before removing them from the pan
  7. Serve and enjoy!


Per Serving:
102 Calories, 18 Carbs, 2 Fat, 6 Protein

No comments:

Post a Comment