Monday, September 17, 2012

120-Cal Banana Puff Muffins

These. Are. Awesome.

This morning was a little crazy, but these muffins warm out of the oven really helped me have a fantastic start to my day! SO easy and so delicious. I think it took me 15 minutes total to put them together in my sleepy state--so maybe 10 minutes of prep if I'd been fully awake!

What you'll need:

  • 2 1/2 cup oats (old fashioned kind, not quick cooking)
  • 1 cup of low fat greek yogurt (I used plain, but vanilla or another fruit flavor (without added sugar...) would be great! Experiment.)
  • 2 eggs or 2/3 cup egg whites
  • 2 TBSP (8 packets) of stevia (I used packets of truvia and it was perfect) Update: since writing this post, I have stopped using stevia after learning more about its processing. I've made the muffins without and they are still delicious! A drizzle of honey on the top is great if you need a little sweetener when you eat them.
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 very ripe bananas, mashed 
Optional add-ins (not included in the nutritional facts below): walnuts, pecans, chocolate chips, peanut butter chips, craisins...the options are endless!

The how-to:  

  1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees and spray a 12-cup muffin tin 
  2. (you cannot use paper liners with this type of recipe unless you're interested in eating them along with your muffin. Just don't go there.) 
  3. Place the oats in a blender or food processor until smooth. 
  4. Pour the oats into a large mixing bowl and gradually add the rest of the ingredients except the optional mix-ins.
  5. Once your batter is smooth, add any additional mix-ins and gently mix them in using a spoon or spatula (or my latest favorite tool, the spoontula from Rachel Ray!)
  6. Pour batter evenly into your 12 prepare muffin cups and bake for 20-25 minutes.
  7. Yum.

    PS--here are the nutrition facts per muffin, as taken from the myfitnesspal recipe tracker. Enjoy!
Calories: 120
Carbs: 21
Fat: 2
Protein: 6
Sugar: 4
Fiber: 3


No comments:

Post a Comment