Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Turkey-Tequila-Lime Tacos

Disclaimer: I fully believe that all recipes are better if you tweak them to your own liking.

Ingredients:
Garlic olive oil (mine is from Trader Joe's - but you could use plain if you'd like)
1 medium onion, chopped to your size preference
1 pound ground turkey breast
Taco seasoning to taste (mine is different every time...salt, pepper, cilantro, garlic, cumin, chili powder...)
Lime juice
Tequila
Diced tomatoes (today's were no-salt-added canned diced tomatoes)
Taco shells
Toppings: sour cream, salsa, lettuce, etc.

If cooking hardshells, preheat your oven. I always forget to do this at the right time!

Then, in a large pan, heat your garlic oil sightly and add the chopped onion. If you used plain olive oil, you'll want to add 2-3 cloves of minced garlic here, too.


Saute the onions for a minute or so, and add your turkey breast, breaking it up (I love my bamboo spoons for this) and then add the taco seasoning and begin to brown the turkey. I usually toss in a little extra black or white pepper and cilantro (fresh if possible!).

As it browns, add a splash of lime juice and tequila. Have fun with this!

Once fully cooked, add your diced tomatoes, cover the pan, turn the burner to low, and let simmer as you cook your shells. Sometimes I add a bit of water here, too, if there doesn't appear to be enough moisture.
I realize that it doesn't look so pretty in the pan - but wowzer did this make awesome tacos! I had stand-and-stuff corn shells that I baked, and then we layered in mozzarella, fresh wholly salsa (love that stuff!) along with the meat mixture. Topped with sour cream and lettuce and there weren't many leftovers :)



No comments:

Post a Comment