Thursday, September 6, 2012

Baked Mac, no, QUINOA and Cheese!


After finding this recipe on pinterest, I decided I had to give it a shot. Here's the photo from the blog I pulled the original recipe from - doesn't it look yummy?

Source:  http://aroundthetableri.blogspot.com/
Mine tasted yummy, but it didn't look quite this good, so I'll leave her picture for your viewing pleasure! :) It got a big thumbs-up from Hubby J as well as from my lovely but oh-so-picky 8-year-old.

You've got to try this one!

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup quinoa (dry, pre-rinsed and drained if needed)
  • Veggies or meat of your choice (I'm definitely doing cubed chicken, roasted red peppers, onions, and spinach next time!)
  • Salt to preference
  • Chili powder to preference
  • 2 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 cup plain almond milk (or whatever kind you prefer)
  • 2 cups grated cheese (original blog called for cheddar, I had italian so it's what I used...I'd recommend a mixture)
  • Feta for topping
The how-to:
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees
2. Cook your quinoa as instructed (10-15 minutes)
3. Lightly saute any veggies or prepare any meat you're using
4. Spray a 9x13 pan with cooking spray
5. Whisk together eggs, milk, and seasonings together in a large bowl
6. Add in grated cheese, and then quinoa, folding all together
7. Transfer evenly to prepared baking pan and add feta or panko for topping
8. Bake for 30-35 minutes, until the top is browned

You can serve immediately, with the caution that it's pretty hot! Let me know what you think, and how your experimenting goes!



No comments:

Post a Comment